iReturn
Monday, November 26, 2007
I'm back! YAY!
Still, from now on, what's in here will just be a reflection of what I've written in my moleskine.
Essay writing earlier wasn't so bad, despite the badly shaken nerves which I had to soothe by pumping caffeine into my system (don't ask).
The Theme: Art on the platform of technology
The topic: Does the use of technology trivialize beauty in art?
My take? It depends on the user; the ideal balance is to have an artist who is equipped with the disciplined traditions of art, the basic knowledge (ie light, color, composition, etc), use software like Photoshop to enhance their work. For the less-skilled, average artist (didn't word it like so, don't worry), having at least an idea of what makes a picture aesthetically pleasing is needed so that they can tell what is off, lacking or too much when alterations have been applied. It will save the art from possible murder by photoshop and diminishing the art's appeal to its audience. Had to emphasize the role of technology; that it is a tool and that the artist mustn't feel threatened but must learn to embrace it. Technology is an extension of the artist's skill. Being a stubborn traditionalist up against the daunting pace of technological advancements might result in them being pushed over and into the abyss of obsolescence. An artist must remember that no matter how advanced technology can become, or whatever medium is used for the artistic expression, what matters is the creativity the user/artist is equipped with and nothing can replace traditional skill.
Software such as photoshop is invented for users of varying skills so that they can enhance the beauty (and the importance thereof) of their artwork, not trivialize/diminish its value... etc.
You get the meaning.
I wasn't sure how many words, but I did use 5 pages. Still, when read, it's very quick. In fact, it seemed (to me) that it read like a hybrid - a journal entry crossed with an essay.
There are personal elements to it. I'm not big on having my essays sound like thesis documentations because they're too impersonal, too objective. Nothing wrong with that, but I agree with the advice that I should write it for an audience of teachers and the typical students. I can't not add personal touches. Besides, the introduction to the topic was talking about digital photography, luckily enough for me.
After all, it's easy to write about something that one has knowledge of, yes?
I've had backgrounds in digital photography, traditional paint-on-canvas landscape art and I have a penchant for digitally manipulating images. I also happen to be an IT student who knows how to write. Best of all worlds, if you ask me. I know a bit of everything that was related to the topic/theme.
As far as the competition is, there were six: two from each participating campus (eastwood, northgate and ubelt). Brian Yu was the other rep for EW (and the only male contestant, to boot). He was rather worried at first because he was rusty and so was his writing. The last tip I passed on before I had to move to the last table was that he should use an outline; it helps.
Outline is God.
Really.
The other reps, I didn't pay much attention to, but I recognized the girl from Ubelt. She was also their rep from last year's competition. She didn't win though.
But I refuse to jinx it; don't want to get too cocky.
I realized that although it would be nice if I win for the second time, that I manage to defend my title, the fact remains that this is my last essay writing competition (for this school). That somebody else will have to compete next year, whether I win or lose.
Meaning, I would probably need a successor.
Also meaning that having graduated from IIC English Week essay writing would mean that I can write whatever I want now and get more training if needed. And I learned a lesson about neglecting skills; getting rid of the rust is a long and painful process.
Moving on to bigger things; I should try to win... I dunno, a Palanca, maybe. Bwahahaha.
Still, from now on, what's in here will just be a reflection of what I've written in my moleskine.
Essay writing earlier wasn't so bad, despite the badly shaken nerves which I had to soothe by pumping caffeine into my system (don't ask).
The Theme: Art on the platform of technology
The topic: Does the use of technology trivialize beauty in art?
My take? It depends on the user; the ideal balance is to have an artist who is equipped with the disciplined traditions of art, the basic knowledge (ie light, color, composition, etc), use software like Photoshop to enhance their work. For the less-skilled, average artist (didn't word it like so, don't worry), having at least an idea of what makes a picture aesthetically pleasing is needed so that they can tell what is off, lacking or too much when alterations have been applied. It will save the art from possible murder by photoshop and diminishing the art's appeal to its audience. Had to emphasize the role of technology; that it is a tool and that the artist mustn't feel threatened but must learn to embrace it. Technology is an extension of the artist's skill. Being a stubborn traditionalist up against the daunting pace of technological advancements might result in them being pushed over and into the abyss of obsolescence. An artist must remember that no matter how advanced technology can become, or whatever medium is used for the artistic expression, what matters is the creativity the user/artist is equipped with and nothing can replace traditional skill.
Software such as photoshop is invented for users of varying skills so that they can enhance the beauty (and the importance thereof) of their artwork, not trivialize/diminish its value... etc.
You get the meaning.
I wasn't sure how many words, but I did use 5 pages. Still, when read, it's very quick. In fact, it seemed (to me) that it read like a hybrid - a journal entry crossed with an essay.
There are personal elements to it. I'm not big on having my essays sound like thesis documentations because they're too impersonal, too objective. Nothing wrong with that, but I agree with the advice that I should write it for an audience of teachers and the typical students. I can't not add personal touches. Besides, the introduction to the topic was talking about digital photography, luckily enough for me.
After all, it's easy to write about something that one has knowledge of, yes?
I've had backgrounds in digital photography, traditional paint-on-canvas landscape art and I have a penchant for digitally manipulating images. I also happen to be an IT student who knows how to write. Best of all worlds, if you ask me. I know a bit of everything that was related to the topic/theme.
As far as the competition is, there were six: two from each participating campus (eastwood, northgate and ubelt). Brian Yu was the other rep for EW (and the only male contestant, to boot). He was rather worried at first because he was rusty and so was his writing. The last tip I passed on before I had to move to the last table was that he should use an outline; it helps.
Outline is God.
Really.
The other reps, I didn't pay much attention to, but I recognized the girl from Ubelt. She was also their rep from last year's competition. She didn't win though.
But I refuse to jinx it; don't want to get too cocky.
I realized that although it would be nice if I win for the second time, that I manage to defend my title, the fact remains that this is my last essay writing competition (for this school). That somebody else will have to compete next year, whether I win or lose.
Meaning, I would probably need a successor.
Also meaning that having graduated from IIC English Week essay writing would mean that I can write whatever I want now and get more training if needed. And I learned a lesson about neglecting skills; getting rid of the rust is a long and painful process.
Moving on to bigger things; I should try to win... I dunno, a Palanca, maybe. Bwahahaha.
