Thursday, October 25, 2007
Survival.
n. the act or fact of surviving, esp. under adverse or unusual circumstances.
Yesterday, I woke up feeling rather disoriented because the house was too quiet. So I went outside to confirm what was already in my head; yes, the place was empty save for myself. And it looked as if people left in a hurry too as broken eggshells are still on the sink, cooking pans on the stove, dirty dishes on the table. The first thought that entered my head was that maybe there was an order to evacuate or some such when I had been asleep. Or maybe I was still dreaming.
I ended up asking the dog where everybody went.
Either way, it didn't matter because it was already 9:30 and being that it was a Wednesday, I was usually expected to haul my ass out of the house within 10 minutes or I'll be late for my 10.40 class. Damn traffic. Welcome to the Philippines.
Hold on, it doesn't end there.
I sent [anonymous] a message, hoping he'll already be at school and also hoping for that slim chance of the teachers not holding any classes that morning (and as I found out, with the students more eager to practice for the sports fest, defeated teachers postponed the day's classes -- but I digress) While doing so, I heard the gates open and the voice of our housekeeper floated within my hearing radar. She thought it was empty and went to chat with my aunt's housekeeper until my grandparents arrived and I had to open the door then she discover that the house wasn't quite as empty as she thought.
How was I to know that she wanted to enter the house?
My mother was laughing at me when I told her all about this. She even said that I make a decent guard; nobody can go in. She also said that I'm completely oblivious of the things around me (because I'm locked away in my own head), that the world is ending and I'll be the last to know; I sleep through volcanic eruptions and ignore earthquakes. Fires or storms can't disturb me either.
That wasn't the first time I was left to fend for myself. I actually look forward to those, the empty house being left under my care. I like the quiet and the privacy. It's something that's hard to come by in a house where 17 people reside. I mean, I don't even have my own room.
One of the primary reasons why I want my own place is to have that privacy.
Yes, I do have the tendency of being rather high-maintenance. Maybe I enjoy being dependent as long as there's somebody to do things for me. But if there isn't, I'm not quite that helpless. I can cook, clean, etc if I have to, if I'm forced to.
Maybe they should just leave me to fend for myself for a few months and see if I'll come crawling back or something. I'm game. Heh.
n. the act or fact of surviving, esp. under adverse or unusual circumstances.
Yesterday, I woke up feeling rather disoriented because the house was too quiet. So I went outside to confirm what was already in my head; yes, the place was empty save for myself. And it looked as if people left in a hurry too as broken eggshells are still on the sink, cooking pans on the stove, dirty dishes on the table. The first thought that entered my head was that maybe there was an order to evacuate or some such when I had been asleep. Or maybe I was still dreaming.
I ended up asking the dog where everybody went.
Either way, it didn't matter because it was already 9:30 and being that it was a Wednesday, I was usually expected to haul my ass out of the house within 10 minutes or I'll be late for my 10.40 class. Damn traffic. Welcome to the Philippines.
Hold on, it doesn't end there.
I sent [anonymous] a message, hoping he'll already be at school and also hoping for that slim chance of the teachers not holding any classes that morning (and as I found out, with the students more eager to practice for the sports fest, defeated teachers postponed the day's classes -- but I digress) While doing so, I heard the gates open and the voice of our housekeeper floated within my hearing radar. She thought it was empty and went to chat with my aunt's housekeeper until my grandparents arrived and I had to open the door then she discover that the house wasn't quite as empty as she thought.
How was I to know that she wanted to enter the house?
My mother was laughing at me when I told her all about this. She even said that I make a decent guard; nobody can go in. She also said that I'm completely oblivious of the things around me (because I'm locked away in my own head), that the world is ending and I'll be the last to know; I sleep through volcanic eruptions and ignore earthquakes. Fires or storms can't disturb me either.
That wasn't the first time I was left to fend for myself. I actually look forward to those, the empty house being left under my care. I like the quiet and the privacy. It's something that's hard to come by in a house where 17 people reside. I mean, I don't even have my own room.
One of the primary reasons why I want my own place is to have that privacy.
Yes, I do have the tendency of being rather high-maintenance. Maybe I enjoy being dependent as long as there's somebody to do things for me. But if there isn't, I'm not quite that helpless. I can cook, clean, etc if I have to, if I'm forced to.
Maybe they should just leave me to fend for myself for a few months and see if I'll come crawling back or something. I'm game. Heh.
