<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/8079991839760377076?origin\x3dhttp://carouselhazard.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

FREAKING GIFT TO HUMANITY.
evolution spent too much time on me; what's your excuse?


intense, but not too bright.

Sunday, October 7, 2007

I have a research assignment to do, I know, but it's giving me a headache. I need a break.

The Blue Torch

My brainchild. Unfortunately, I can barely keep it alive. I won't elaborate anymore, I already wrote about this in a previous post. Actually, the title above is the original "tagline", as it were. We - my co-founders - needed an explanation for the name; we thought that we might be asked for one during the journalism competition. One reasoned that it should reflect the school and the students. We agreed that blue fire is intense, but not quite so bright.

Strangely enough, if you're familiar with the school body, that's actually an apt description.

So the name was born.

History

Originally, this was the name of the dummy campus publication, solely for the purpose of being Eastwood's entry for the Journalism Competition. The contest was held at the UBelt campus where 4 representatives from each campus was to work on a dummy publication for the whole day - front pate, 6 articles, 10 pictures, 8 hours.

The Blue Torch won 2nd place, much to our surprise and the idea occurred to me, why not make it an official campus publication?


Past Advisers

Sadly, I proposed the paper a little too late; the adviser I've always wanted had just resigned.


The BT is prone to having short-lived and incompetent advisers, ever since it was proposed to be the campus publication in January 2007.

The first one was [W] (name to remain undisclosed). He was adviser for two weeks until he resigned because the entire student body was on a vendetta against him. He has an attitude problem and remains to be the worst English teacher the EW campus ever had. Begone with you and take your stupid accent and your equally stupid hair with you.

I maintained the status as the paper's "adviser" when he resigned. I wasn't too keen on asking any of the Magister people. I did ask somebody outside of school to be a consultant.

May 2007, the school had decided to merge the newspaper with the talent center (I still have no idea why and how this came to be) and we were given a new adviser. At first, I was glad to have somebody to share the workload with. His name is [Ducky].

But sadly and since life is an ironic bitch, I found out that I've been cursed to deal with incompetence.

Up until now, I'm stuck with Ducky as an adviser, although this time I asked the Magister-sent English teacher to be a consultant because there is a reason why Ducky - who entered the school as an English teacher - is no longer teaching English subjects.

Nice.

Not.


The Editorial Team

I've had three sets; the original, the last and the latest.

The original was made up of three people. We were the founders and Eastwood's representatives for the competition. Sadly, I'm the only one left.

The last editorial team from January 2007 was huge. It had 13 people; writers, a cartoonist and a photographer. Sadly, the writers' abilities left a lot to be desired for. I discovered that maybe having such a huge team isn't the smartest decision I made.

By the end of the term, I kept three and sacked the rest.

May 2007, those three went MIA on me (two had OJT and the other one, I only see once in a blue moon). I was on my own.

My current editiorial team, I made changes. You can only apply as a contributor, but the editorial team itself is hand-picked by yours truly. I have the old three returning and new blood. I also have my very own proofreader/editor-who-doesn't-need-to-edit.

The current count is four. And a half.

Inspired by Dr. Gregory House with his recruitment method, I thought of actually implementing his idea: all students enrolled in English classes is a member by default. Then I start sacking weeding out those unfit to serve.

Yeah, this is the army, dammit.


Problems

This publication is dirt poor and makes use of manual labor. Meaning, we do everything - from coming up with topics to writing them, editing, layouting and printing. All higher authority has to do is pick up a pen and sign it, declaring that it's fit for posting. Sad.

One copy on the damn bulletin board.

If you want a proper publication, show some support, will ya?

leave a comment