exploited.
Thursday, September 13, 2007
Exploited.
adj. developed or used to greatest advantage
Somebody once said to me that it's not an entirely good thing for you for other people to know that you can do this, do that, that you've got talents in areas most people are not quite so patient with or gifted in. Why? Because they'll start hinting that areas so-and-so need your expertise and corner you until you sign your very own death warrant by saying 'yes', thinking that it may be an escape route - the whole "get-it-over-and-done-with". Oh, and they quite pointedly missed the obvious signs of reluctance and hesitation. Maybe you can find some temporary comfort in knowing that you're doing these poor mortals a favour. Thanks - no matter how many times it was said - just doesn't quite cover it anymore, especially if you know that they weren't the ones to spend hours and effort.
Don't be surprised if it doesn't stop there; be more surprised if it does. 'Course, until they discover the next most talented, you are doomed to trudge through more projects, all of which will bleed you dry. All your time and effort spent on things that you want nothing or little to do with, bearing in mind that whatever it is they're making you do, isn't even a part of your job description.
You didn't even volunteer for it.
Don't get me started on those who continuously nag, armed with that irritating "innocent" smile while persistently repeating the same questions you've already answered before. The most infuriating is when people unfailingly ask every single day if you've done what they asked, when you've clearly stated you have other things to do too and had politely asked for patience.
Completely normal if you feel like strangling that certain somebody who, not only invades your personal space by watching over your shoulder as you work and they have the gall to say how hard it actually looks. No, it doesn't make you feel special. Don't you just feel like sniping a remark along the lines of, "If it looks hard, what do you think it's like when you're the one sitting here, doing it and being nagged about it?"
Glare. Or smile, it's just as scary sometimes. Go on, you deserve it.
You don't get to do the things that you actually would very much rather do. You can't say "I don't work for free" either, because it's not nice. You can't bear to look if it's not to your liking either. You'll feel the urge to freaking do it because they can't and you simply cannot stand something that screams "INCOMPETENCE!".
Speaking of the next most talented, when this person arrives... oh look, fresh meat!To the reject bin you go. Atleast, if you think about it, you're free.
But you've also been used, eh? Used then discarded. Lovely.
And when it comes down to you asking for their help in something, they give you the whole "I'll see what I can do" talk. Key word: see. They don't actually do anything until you nag with all your might and when you get it, they'll make sure you feel indebted to them.
Pathetic.
Which leads me to another human trait that ticks me off: basking in the success of others while they just sat there and did nothing else to aid said success. Yes, there is a difference between that and being sincerely pleased for the person's accomplishments.
But I digress.
Oh yeah, I know how that feels. So much so that I actually sent [anonymous] a message just now stating that I actually miss being bored, despite complaining about it a lot before. Now I'm buried under so much extracurriculars and obligations, I don't even have time to feel boredom.
And as they say, "mahirap na ang ma-discover". I am never again sending an eyeroll in the direction of whoever says that. Then again, that person must actually be talented, not just some out-of-place, inflated ego.
Yes, I'm bitter.
It'll pass, I'm sure... because I don't even have time to feel bitter. Growl.
adj. developed or used to greatest advantage
Somebody once said to me that it's not an entirely good thing for you for other people to know that you can do this, do that, that you've got talents in areas most people are not quite so patient with or gifted in. Why? Because they'll start hinting that areas so-and-so need your expertise and corner you until you sign your very own death warrant by saying 'yes', thinking that it may be an escape route - the whole "get-it-over-and-done-with". Oh, and they quite pointedly missed the obvious signs of reluctance and hesitation. Maybe you can find some temporary comfort in knowing that you're doing these poor mortals a favour. Thanks - no matter how many times it was said - just doesn't quite cover it anymore, especially if you know that they weren't the ones to spend hours and effort.
Don't be surprised if it doesn't stop there; be more surprised if it does. 'Course, until they discover the next most talented, you are doomed to trudge through more projects, all of which will bleed you dry. All your time and effort spent on things that you want nothing or little to do with, bearing in mind that whatever it is they're making you do, isn't even a part of your job description.
You didn't even volunteer for it.
Don't get me started on those who continuously nag, armed with that irritating "innocent" smile while persistently repeating the same questions you've already answered before. The most infuriating is when people unfailingly ask every single day if you've done what they asked, when you've clearly stated you have other things to do too and had politely asked for patience.
Completely normal if you feel like strangling that certain somebody who, not only invades your personal space by watching over your shoulder as you work and they have the gall to say how hard it actually looks. No, it doesn't make you feel special. Don't you just feel like sniping a remark along the lines of, "If it looks hard, what do you think it's like when you're the one sitting here, doing it and being nagged about it?"
Glare. Or smile, it's just as scary sometimes. Go on, you deserve it.
You don't get to do the things that you actually would very much rather do. You can't say "I don't work for free" either, because it's not nice. You can't bear to look if it's not to your liking either. You'll feel the urge to freaking do it because they can't and you simply cannot stand something that screams "INCOMPETENCE!".
Speaking of the next most talented, when this person arrives... oh look, fresh meat!To the reject bin you go. Atleast, if you think about it, you're free.
But you've also been used, eh? Used then discarded. Lovely.
And when it comes down to you asking for their help in something, they give you the whole "I'll see what I can do" talk. Key word: see. They don't actually do anything until you nag with all your might and when you get it, they'll make sure you feel indebted to them.
Pathetic.
Which leads me to another human trait that ticks me off: basking in the success of others while they just sat there and did nothing else to aid said success. Yes, there is a difference between that and being sincerely pleased for the person's accomplishments.
But I digress.
Oh yeah, I know how that feels. So much so that I actually sent [anonymous] a message just now stating that I actually miss being bored, despite complaining about it a lot before. Now I'm buried under so much extracurriculars and obligations, I don't even have time to feel boredom.
And as they say, "mahirap na ang ma-discover". I am never again sending an eyeroll in the direction of whoever says that. Then again, that person must actually be talented, not just some out-of-place, inflated ego.
Yes, I'm bitter.
It'll pass, I'm sure... because I don't even have time to feel bitter. Growl.
