<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/8079991839760377076?origin\x3dhttp://carouselhazard.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

FREAKING GIFT TO HUMANITY.
evolution spent too much time on me; what's your excuse?


scorched.

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Pretty, huh?

That is a place where most people, especially if you live in Metro Manila during this time of the year - closest experience to hell - dream of going: the famous beaches/resorts of the southern regions. Or north, if you prefer (somewhat) less populated areas. People pack up and flock to such picturesque places that offer large quantities of water, especially during Holy Week where everybody gets time off from school or work, like some odd pilgrimage (pun unintended).

I don't blame people; I blame the sun - it spares nobody and roasts everybody indiscriminately. Lately, I want nothing more than just live under the shower.

Still, no matter how much I desire a nice vacation, an outing that consists of going anywhere near open body of water - sea or pool, I don't care, is something that makes me grind my teeth behind a mouth clamped shut. Most people are more than ready to jump into the water, but if faced with a choice between that or facing the heat, I'd rather welcome the heat.

I smile wryly, whenever an overly-excited somebody would start tugging and present the idea of an outing to the beach. I don't say anything about it and only when asked, then I reluctantly agree. Then only when I'm asked what's up, that's when I tell them (if they don't know yet) that I suffer from Aquaphobia.

No, not ashamed. It's what I am, what can I do about that? Just didn't want to burst your bubble.

I don't openly disagree or refuse to go whenever family or (especially) friends (because I don't have the heart to) decide that they want to go swimming. Why should I? I'll lose anyway; I've long accepted/expected that I'm often the minority. Besides, I don't mind going because I like to look at it; I like to draw/paint/take pictures of it, but I do mind going near it. I often jokingly offer to tag along because they'll need somebody to watch everybody else's belongings -- such an important role, you know.

That's about the only thing that I ever end up doing, when I go on these trips.

During family outings, I remember to pack either my computer or the thickest, unread book I can find.

Perhentian (2002) -- I ended up sitting under a tree for two or more hours while they went snorkeling. They came back and found me making a sculpture of something out of a branch that had earlier fallen on my head. I love knives; we bonded back then.

Subic (december '07) -- last minute swimming for almost everybody, the morning we had to leave. I was more than happy to get a few more hours of sleep, instead.

Yep, it's pretty difficult if you actually prefer the activities most people find to be boring. I rot when I stay at home, but I still like the indoors better. Sitting somewhere cool with a book and coffee would suit me just fine. But if it's an outing they want, I'll go willingly and stomach it as much as I can; marunong naman akong makisama. (tough; I don't feel like translating that.)

Eh, just... for once like to go / do something that doesn't end up with me holding my hands out to collect everybody's valuables, carry it around for safekeeping and start burning a hole on the chair I'm to sit on for hours, while I watch everybody else.

Might be a cat, afraid of water, but I'm not a dog, you know.

leave a comment